Message from the Fraternity & Sorority Advisor
I started my Greek life experience at the University of Alberta as an undergraduate student and a fraternity member. When I joined, I came to university looking to meet some new people, have some fun and get involved on campus. What I didn't realize at the time was how much the experience would help me grow and shape me as a person. As an undergraduate I served three terms on the executive board of my fraternity, travelled to leadership conferences and developed many life skills. I met my wife through the sorority system, all my groomsmen in my wedding were fraternity brothers and many of my closest friends today are members of the Greek system. Now as an alumnus, I still benefit from my fraternity membership. I served as a graduate advisor to my local fraternity, was a member of a housing corporation and serve on a board of chapter advisors. I've met some remarkable people, made some excellent networking opportunities and, most importantly, I've made some incredible friendships that will last me a lifetime.
I am thrilled to be giving back to my Greek community as the Fraternity and Sorority Advisor. In this role, I provide oversight, advising support and organizational and leadership development opportunities for all registered students affiliated with fraternities and sororities. I directly advise the Inter-fraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, and Order of Omega, and their respective executive councils. My main responsibilities are to:
- Serve as an advocate for Greek Life experiences and organizations.
- Provide support and advising for all fraternities and sororities, including programming assistance, leadership development, goal setting, and risk management.
- Support and oversee the recruitment process and retention of affiliated fraternities and sororities.
- Assist with the implementation of leadership education activities to enhance the leadership development and engagement of student members of fraternities and sororities.
- Monitor fraternity and sorority adherence to University policy and procedure, including the Code of Student Behaviour.
- Maintain records related to fraternity and sorority membership, academics, event planning/approval and risk management.
- Encourage collaboration within the Greek community and act as a bridge with the university administration.
- Serve as University's representative in communicating with international fraternity and sorority representatives, alumni, and local chapter advisors.
I couldn't be more happy and excited to support Greek life at the University of Alberta. I truly want to bring the positive experiences and personal growth that I was provided to all undergraduate students who choose to join a fraternity or sorority.
Fraternity and Sorority Advisor
University of Alberta